Sunday 2 June 2013

Showing Honour

I was over at my in-laws last night and it often strikes me when I am with them what godly, lovely people they both are. One way I see this is the way my father-in-law will often disappear quietly into the kitchen after a busy meal. See, my in-laws are known for their hospitality, so their family of six (still at home) is often supplemented with lots of company. After a long day where both of them are tired, I suppose it would be easy for my in-laws to argue about who should wash dishes. My father-in-law's work involves lots of mental and physical exertion. My mother-in-law keeps a big family going with all the countless jobs that entails. But I've never seen them have that argument, while I have so often seen my father-in-law off in the kitchen, rallying the kids to come dry dishes.

It strikes me as such a fine example of the servant-leadership Christ wants the men of his Church to exhibit. No "I'm the man, I work hard all day and deserve a rest," no "I'm the man so I'm the breadwinner and you do the housework." Nothing like that. Instead, it's "I'm the man, and we're both tired but God gave me a stronger body and I will take care of you by doing these dishes at the end of a hard day." So wonderful.

And I'm the indirect beneficiary because my husband does the same. I know he hates washing dishes, but now that I'm pregnant and thus bone-weary for most of the day, he rises to the occasion, using his strength to serve. It is such a blessing to me, and perfectly pictures the selfless way Christ serves his bride the Church.

"Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered." 1 Peter 3:7, ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment